THE CHADBURN SHIPS' TELEGRAPH SOCIETY


This article appeared in Sept. edition 2006 of "SEABREEZES" mag. UK.

click here click here
This style of embossing the dial was adopted in 1898 and was used for about 50 years, when the company had to diversify and became known as CHADBURN (LIVERPOOL) Ltd.   Look out for  the most  commonly used 'Oval'  shaped   company name  with  LIVERPOOL
in large capitals underneath.!   If   'London' has been added,  and sometimes  a picture of  a  'sailing ship' or an 'anchor'   then it is  a
replica production, and not a  GENUINE Chadburn  !! 
DUPLEX SIGNAL LAMP INDICATOR ON THE CAPTAIN’S BRIDGE OF THE “MAURETANIA” Which notifies the failure of any of the ship’s navigating lights and sounds a horn to warn the officers.  With Electric
Lamp telegraphs, these sophisticated Ocean Liners  passed on the chosen  'Order '   to this  central panel.   Below  right   is a  young Cadet
probably only asked by the photographer of 1908  to  'Put his hand'  on the   Chadburn telegraph lever.!!
click here click here
TELEGRAPH  ON THE BRIDGE OF THE CUNARD MAIL STEAMER “MAURETANIA”   -    LEVER is in 'STOP' position.  This  vessel was
built by Swan-Hunter  and launched in 1906.  It had many advanced
features, later incorporated into the 'Titanic'! 
THE SINGLE LEVER ON THE BRIDGE OF THE “MAURETANIA” The movement of which closes the forty water-tight doors which insure the safety of the ship, and gives electrical warning of the failure of any particular door.   To the right of picture is  Chadburns  telegraph of the
Admiralty  type, using rod gearing to send signals to Engine Room.
click here The ship's telegraph with vertical handle only, including dial, or dials if twin screw ship, relied on chain and wire to the engine room. They are shown in our pictures. The Admiralty, or MoD Naval, insisted on rod gearing with universal joint since they calculated that wire stretched by as much as 14%. The relative positions sent to the engineers below had to have the horizontal dial with a vertical wheel hand, and that type of telegraph was adopted for all Warships. (incl. the Royal Yacht 'Britannia'). This type of instrument is rarely seen with the exception of treasures found by divers, in the past.

The wording (Ship) Telegraphs Coy Ltd. Was necessary in Chadburns name, since Marconi (Wireless) Telegraph was made available to send messages to and from ships/ashore stations! This took place at the same time.

PLEASE  NOTE: the  illustration above  is   a Chadburn  where the
handwheel  has to 'go one revolution' to  move the pointer   on the
horizontal scale    -  one Order, (i..e. here  in this picture  only,  shown below the   brass pedestal )   - these  telegraph systems are very
rare,   and   the Rod Gearing  with Universal joints  fitted inside  were
elaborate and costly.  However,  it ensured  perfect transmission to
the Engrine room  Receiver  t'gh.   
 (These  3 photographs  of    the famous Cunarder  are from unknown archives.   Also fitted to sister ship, 'LUSITANIA')  
Other   photographs  are from   company records, and trademark  on top  left,  re-created  in 1990  for use on Christmas  cards, etc. 

The  *Chain and wire*   type of   telegraph system  with the specific  wording :   FULL   AHEAD   - plus  2, 3 or 4 Orders  to  the  left and right of the TOP position  with   ASTERN  - became  Chadburn 's   very clever   interpretation  of the  most appropriate   Commands !!   and we go back to the 1860's.  Just as Samuel Morse  invented   his ... - - - system!     Both Chadburn and Morse  became legendary figures. 
In the same manner, Marconi  achieved world acclaim with his  unique  wireless telegraph  method of using the 'Hammer'.!      NOTE: the author of these  pages is Swedish by origin  and admires the way  different Lingustic skills   focus in on ENGLISH   as   a  truly UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE.  
 

This article appeared in Sept. edition 2006 of "SEABREEZES" mag. UK.